Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Babycakes Thin Mints


One of the hardest times of the year is Girl Scout cookie season. Those cute little girls selling those colorful boxes of cookies outside of grocery stores is a sad reminder of what I am missing. Realistically, it's a little cruel because how can I not buy cookies from them!? My friends get lucky when I show up with boxes of cookies that I can't touch. Here ya go! And then I go cry in the corner. Okay just kidding, I am not that dramatic but I do miss samaos. Thank goodness for the amazing Babycakes! Always coming to the rescue. I LOVE Babycakes cook book. Some of the greatest baked goods recipes come from their shops and cook books. I recently got to go to the actual Babycakes shop in Los Angeles and to be honest, it might have been the highlight of my life. I may have spent more money than is acceptable on baked goods but I had to try everything! Make sure if you are in LA or New York you head over and try some amazing vegan and gluten free Babycakes. 



Since I can't go visit the Babycakes store everyday, which is a blessing in disguise they have been kind enough to share their recipes with us! I have made these Thin Mints about 4 different times now because realistically Girl Scout cookie season should be year round. 
Here is the Babycakes Thin Mint recipe!
Enjoy! XO

1.5 Cups Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose GF Baking Flour
1 Cup Vegan Sugar
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/4 Cup Arrowroot
1.5 TSP Xantham Gum
1 TSP Baking Soda
1 TSP Sea Salt
3/4 Cup Melted Refined Coconut Oil or Canola Oil
1/3 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
2 TBSP Vanilla Extract (*make sure it's GF!)
1 Cup Chocolate Chips
3 TBSP Mint Extract

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, arrowroot, xantham gum, baking soda and salt. Add the melted coconut oil, applesauce and vanilla and mix with a rubber spatula until a thick dough forms.

Drop the dough by the teaspoon full onto the baking sheets about 1.5 inches apart. Gently flatten each mound of dough, smoothing the edges with your fingers. Bake for 7 minutes, rotate the baking sheets, and bake for 7 more minutes. Let stand on the baking sheets for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the chocolate chips and mint extract in a small saucepan and place on medium heat. Stir until the chips are just melted. Do not overcook. Remove from heat. Dunk the top of each cookie into the melted chocolate and place in a single layer on a platter. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until the chocolate sets.





No comments:

Post a Comment