Monday, March 25, 2013

Jalapeño Kale Pesto


I love kale... Well, I love kale chips. Other forms of kale, I pretend to love because I know it's so good for me. Kale has amazing benefits like tons of fiber, iron and vitamin K. Not only that, but it's low in calories and is filled with powerful antioxidants. Meet your new beneficial best friend. This version of pesto uses kale and spicy jalapeños for a little twist. 

 I was never a big pasta person before I went gluten free, so pasta cravings rarely happen (especially since a lot of the gluten free pasta I have tried is so gummy) The great folks at Ancient Harvest sent me a few boxes of their amazing products. I am officially obsessed with their quinoa pasta. Their pastas are made with a mixture of corn flour and quinoa flour and is far from gummy! I have found exactly what I need for those rare pasta cravings, but for all you pasta lovers try it out. 



Jalapeño Kale Pesto
2 Cups Kale, Stems Removed
3 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
1 Jalapeño, Seeded and Chopped
1/3 Cup Pine Nuts
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
2 TBSP Nutritional Yeast
*Sauce is Vegan 

Spinach Meatballs
1 Pound Ground Turkey
1 Cup Spinach, Finely Chopped
1/4 Red Onion, Finely Chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1/8 Cup Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes

For the pesto: 
In a small skillet, heat 1/2 TBSP Olive Oil over medium heat. Add the kale and sauté until the kale begins to soften. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute or two but do not let garlic burn. 

Add the kale and all the ingredients for the pesto into a food processor and blend until it's a smooth consistency and there are no chunks.

For the meatballs:
Mix all the ingredients and form into little meatballs. Do not form the meatball too much. Just roll and go. The tighter the meatballs the more tough they will be.

Bake the meatballs for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees
OR
In a skillet, heat 1 TBSP of olive oil. Add the meatballs and cook in the skillet. Since the meatballs are mini they don't take as long but make sure the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. 
Enjoy! XO






No comments:

Post a Comment