Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Wang's North Park

When I ate at Wang's North Park for my birthday in February,  I had such a great experience that I had to know more! Everything from the service to the atmosphere, and of course the Gluten Free Chinese food menu was top notch. The amazingly kind folks at Wang's let me come visit them to pick their brains on everything Gluten Free. In general, most places are jumping on the Gluten Free wagon, but that doesn't always mean it's a safe choice for people with celiac or other related gluten intolerances. I still find myself being "glutened" at restaurants from time to time, but it's a risk we take to enjoy the chance to be social and eat out. When I ate at Wang's for the first time, I was a little hesitant because most Chinese food places are pretty risky for us. I can usually tell pretty quickly when I eat gluten by accident so making it through the dinner feeling great was a good sign. I enjoyed every last bite of my food but it left me with so many questions! How are they able to make such tasty Gluten Free Chinese food safely? Why did they decide on a gluten free menu at all? Can I have a lifetime supply of it? Thankfully, the owner Tom and chef Richard Torres were there to answer all my questions.



I headed back to the kitchen to speak with Chef Richard Torres. One of the first things I noticed about him is how knowledgable he is about the Gluten Free community and all things involving Gluten Free cooking. A gluten free lifestyle hits a bit closer for him as his wife and mother in law both have to eat Gluten Free. I believe this is one of the reasons he is so successful with creating GF dishes and being an outstanding chef.  


 Chef Richard prepping some ingredients for the dinner crowd


Both Tom the owner and chef Richard came from a background at P.F. Changs which is one of the first asian food restaurants to come out with a GF menu. Using their knowledge from that, they came up with some new tasty recipes and menu options. While I haven't eaten at PF Changs recently, I do know they take precautions to ensure a safe meal. Wang's North Park takes a similar approach when cooking a GF dish. They have a dedicated area for all GF ingredients, including a dedicated fryer. They also separate the ingredients including the variety of sauces. I know this helps ease my mind and belly. 


Edamame in action 


Edamame



Owner and one of the nicest people ever Tom


A huge thank you to Tom and Chef Richard Torres for taking the time to hang out and answer my questions. I am a so grateful for this opportunity to visit and learn so much from you both! Wang's is officially on the Annie's Gluten Free Grub approved list so go check it out and let me know what you order! 

Here is the Gluten Free Menu at Wang's North Park

Wang's North Park
3029 University Ave
San Diego, Ca 92104
(619) 291-7500

No comments:

Post a Comment